Which is best for IELTS, British Council or IDP? Where should you take your IELTS test?
- There is no difference between the IELTS test at the BC and in IDP.
- There is also no difference between examiners and marking in the BC and IDP.
- Who owns IELTS?
Both IDP and the British Council are part owners of IELTS along with Cambridge English Language Assessment. This means they are all one company.
- IELTS Test Difficulty Level
IDP and British Council conduct IELTS tests but they do not write them. All tests used at the BC and IDP are compiled by Cambridge English Language Assessment who is one of the joint owners of IELTS.
This means you will get the same tests if you are at BC or IDP.
- IELTS Examiners & Marking at IDP & BC
All examiners for IELTS, both IDP and BC examiners, are trained in the same way, following the same guidelines.
Listening and Reading answers are marked clerically. They are based on right or wrong answers. Each right answer gives one point and your score is calculated based on the number of right answers. So, this never differs between test centers.
Writing and Speaking are marked by an examiner. All IELTS examiners, for both IDP and BC, complete the same training course, follow the same marking criteria and also the same band score descriptors. Examiners are also checked regularly to ensure they are not marking too high or too low.
- AccentsIDP is Australian and BC is British but they both use a range of accents. In the listening test, you will get a range of accents (even American sometimes). In the speaking test, the examiner could come from any country and have any accent. You can use any accent you want in your speaking test: Australian, British or American.