1. Why do you think it is important to learn a foreign language?
✤ It is important to learn a foreign language because it helps you connect with more people.As it is,today we do not belong to a big planet Earth;we belong to a small global village and to survive in this global village,it is necessary to be multilingual.For example,English is spoken in 86 countries.If you know English you can communicate with people of 86 countries.
2. How is it helpful to you to speak a foreign language?
✤ I know English which is a foreign language.It is very helpful for me.Knowledge of English makes me feel more confident as it increases my communication skills and also it helps me in surfing the net because most websites are written in English.
3. What is the most difficult part of learning a foreign language for you?
✤ I find some pronunciations very confusing at times.For example bough is pronounced ‘bo’ whereas tough is ‘tuff’.Sometimes the spellings which have silent words also confuse me.For instance ‘b’ is silent in doubt and debt.
4. What is the best way to memorize new words?
✤ The best way is to start using them in daily life so that they become part of your natural spoken English.
5. Is it better to learn a new word from translation or by definition?
✤ I think both ways are equally good.Sometimes some words are learnt best by translation and some by definition.
6. Why don’t some people know the language of the society they live in?
✤ This is perhaps because they live in their own shell and don’t intermingle with those people.
7. What do you think of children learning a foreign language?
✤ I think children should learn a foreign language.It is very easy for children to learn a foreign language as they are very receptive and they are not hesitant about making mistakes.They also have a benefit of not knowing any other language too well,to make comparisons and assumptions about the difficulty of language learning.In this era of globalization,knowledge of a foreign language is very beneficial for a better career and a brighter future.It opens more avenues for the students for higher education and good jobs.
8. Why are some language classes boring?
✤ Some language classes are boring because of the teaching methods used.If there no interactive and fun activities involved in teaching a language and only textbook teaching methods are followed,students become bored easily.Incorporating technology in classrooms,keeps the students interested in learning and they learn it easily.For example,there should be audio-visual means used.
9. Some students hate to learn foreign languages,what can teachers do to develop their interest?
✤ Some students hate to learn a foreign language mainly due to lack of interest and uninteresting teaching methods used.Teachers play an important in developing students’ interest.Interactive and fun activities should be included to keep the children involved and interested in learning.If students are taught only from text books and there is a pressure of examination,it leads to students becoming bored or disliking language classes.Teachers should also use contexts and examples to which the students can relate in their day-to-day life.If they understand how the language can help and benefit them,students would be motivated to learn that language.
10. Some people travel for learning a foreign language,what do you think?
✤ I think that traveling is a very good way to learn a foreign language.It is true that the more we use a language,the better we get at it.So,if travel to a county/region where that language is used,we will interact more with the local people in that language and learn its nuances better.Also,language is related to the culture.If we travel,we learn more about the culture and can learn the language better.
11. What’s the best way to learn a foreign language?
✤ I think the best way to learn a foreign language in a classroom environment,from a teacher who has in-depth knowledge of that language.The teacher should preferably be a native speaker of that language or should have a high proficiency level in that language.It is very important to incorporate technology and audio-visual methods to teach that language.Also,travelling to that country/region where the language is spoken is also a good way to learn it.These days learning a language through videos and online classes has become very popular,as the students get a chance to interact with the teachers and also with native speakers of that language,through the internet.There are many apps also available,which can be downloaded on smartphones,which help learning a foreign language in a fun and interactive way.For example,the Duolingo app.
12. Why can some people learn languages fast white others learn slowly?
✤ Some people learn language faster than some others because of the teaching methods used to teach them.Interacting more with the native speakers also helps with learning a language better and faster.Also,there may be a motivating factor,like a job that requires them to learn that language,which makes people learn a language faster than others,who don’t have any motivation behind learning a language.
13. Does one’s age affect their language learning?
✤ Yes,I think age affects language learning.I thing the learning curve goes down with increasing age.Also,at an older age,people try and compare the new language they are learning with the language they already know.That may cause a hindrance in the learning of a language.People also become more hesitant about making mistakes and feel more embarrassed,at a later age,as compared to young learners.
14. Why it is good to learn languages at younger age?
1. When children learn multiple languages at a younger age,they develop a lifelong love of communicating with others.
2. It is much easier to learn foreign language when young.At a later age it becomes harder to become fluent
3. Learning a foreign language helps a child’s mind develop.Such children do better in other subjects.It helps their intellect to develop more.
4. Learning a foreign language helps children to expand their knowledge of the world.They want to know about other people and other countries.They would want to understand them instead of being afraid of them.