✤ When you read it
✤ What type of book is it
✤ What is it about
✤ Why did you find it exciting
• I have not read many books apart from my text books.
• Here, I would like to talk about a book,which my friend gifted me, and I read it all.
• I found this book very exciting and motivating and would like to read it again.
• This book is ‘The Wings of Fire’ by Dr A.P.J.Abdul Kalam.
• My friend got this book as a prize when she participated in a declamation contest.
• It is Dr.Kalam’s autobiography.
• It was first published in 1999.
• This book became popular only after Dr.Kalam became the President of India.
• He was sworn in as the president of India on 25th July 2002.
• Mr Arun Tiwari helped Dr Kalam in writing the book.
• In this book Dr.Kalam says why he wrote his autobiography.
• This book is very motivating.
• From this book I came to know all about the life and achievements of Dr A.P.J.Abdul Kalam.
• Dr Kalam was born in a very poor family in the southern parts of India at Rameshwaram.
• The reason why I admire him is that his life shows how & ordinary boy from a deprived class (poor family)could reach the highest level of the nation.
• He became not only the best rocket engineer but also the first citizen of the nation.
• It is true that he described his post as the President as a piece of luck,but his achievement as a rocket engineer was because of sheer hard work.
• He is a role model for one and all.
• The success of Dr Kalam depended on the fact that he was willing to grow daily.
• He learned everything that come to him and was always looking for things to learn.
• The real success of Dr.Kalam is in his application of the discipline,what he learned,in other fields also.
• That is why he could contribute to the making of the artificial limbs of lesser weight.
• In him we find a person with insatiable quest for knowledge & great love for suffering fellow beings.
• Unfortunately,we don’t have Dr Kalam with ustoday,but he will live in the hearts of all Indians.
• I would like to read this book again,because it is a very motivating book.
1. Do people in your country like to read books?
Yes,people of my country like to read books.There are bookshops in most towns and cities,which are all doing good business.
2. What kinds of books are most popular in your country?
All types of books are very popular.India is a diverse country.People have diverse tastes in everything,including reading.
3. Do you think reading is important?
Yes,reading is very important.It develops imagination and also develops language skills.
4. Do you think electronic books will eventually replace paper books?
Not completely,but to a large extent yes.E-books have a lot of advantages
✤ Benefits of e-books over traditional books
Easy to carry while traveling – eBooks allow you to bring a whole library with you wherever you go.You can switch between titles with ease and the weight is lighter than a standard paperback.
Need less storage space– Those who own a lot of books know how much space they can take up,but with a reader,your bookshelf is located on a small handheld device,your computer or on both.
Less costly– eBooks are often cheaper in the long run because there are no printing fees associated with them.In fact,you can often find free eBooks online,whereas physical books almost always cost you something.However,you have to spend one time on a reader,such as a kindle or any other tablet.
Immediate purchase – When you buy an eBook,your reward is instantaneous.Whereas if you order a book online you have to wait for it to arrive before the fun begins.You can do font adjustments.With an eBook,you can instantly change the darkness of the lettering or the size of your font.You can do night reading.If you read in bed,an eBook may be a good option as many readers come with built-in reading lights.
5. Some people like to collect books.Why do you think they do this?
They do so because they love books. They treat books as collectibles,and are proud of their collection.
6. Is compulsory reading (in school) is a good idea?
Yes, definitely.In order for students to achieve in math,science,English,history,geography,and other subjects,reading skills must be developed to the point that most of them are automatic.Students cannot struggle with word recognition when they should be reading quickly for comprehension of a text.But the ability to read and write develops with careful planning and instruction.Children need regular and active interactions with print.
7. What books do children read and what do adults read?
Children read fantasy,fiction and books on supernatural characters like Barbie,Superman and Shaktiman.Adults read biographies,fiction and religious and spiritual books.
8. Why men and women prefer different books?
This is because they have different tastes.
9. Why some books become internationally popular?
This is perhaps because these receive a lot of publicity.
10. What type of books children read nowadays?What type of books did children like reading in the past and what do you think they will read in the future?
Nowadays,generally speaking,the reading habit of the children is on the decline.Whatever books they read are based on fantasy,fiction and supernatural characters like Barbie,superman and Shaktiman.
50 years ago – Children read a lot.They read moral and spiritual books.They read animal stories.
After 50 years – I do not think they will do any reading.All the time will be spent in front of computers.
11. Do you think children have lost their interest in stories?
No,I don’t think that children have lost their interest in stories.However,the stories they read today are very different from those in the past.
12. Can storybooks be an ideal gift for children?
Yes,definitely! Storybooks can be an ideal gift for children.They can help the child imagine the characters in the mind,which is the first step to creativity.Another important benefit is that we can impart the knowledge of culture,tradition,moral values and religion in the mind of the child.This forms the basis of the child’s personality.Finally,storybooks enhance the curiosity of the child and enhance their mental growth.
13. What can be done to encourage the habit of reading among children?
A lot can be done to encourage the habit of reading among children.The first and foremost step would be to make books available.There should be good libraries in the schools as well as in neighbourhoods.Story telling competitions could be organised.If children have to take part in these competitions,then naturally,they would be encouraged to read books. Finally,books could be made more interesting by adding graphics.
14. How does reading help a child?
Reading helps to improve concentration.It also helps to improve general knowledge.It also improves the language skills and satisfies the curiosity of children on various things.
15. What sort of books can be suggested to children to read?
Children should be encouraged to read religious and historical books.They should also read biographies and autobiographies of famous people so that they get motivation from them.They should also be encouraged to read books on science and technology.However,these books should be made very interesting by adding pictures.
16. How much should a child read every day?
A child should read half to one hour daily.I think that would be enough considering that they have to go to school and do their homework as well.
17. What is the difference between the books sold in the past and the books sold nowadays?
In the past,books related to culture,tradition,religion and history were sold.Nowadays,books are mostly based on fiction and fantasy.E-books have become very popular nowadays as compared to the printed books.