✤ Where did you help/what was the situation?
✤ How you helped
✤ What was their reaction after your help
• Helping others is a very good thing.
• I have given and received help many times.
• Here,I would like to talk about a situation,when I helped my friend in studies.
• When I was in 10th,my friend Neel suffered a sprain in his ankle while playing hockey in the school.
• He was advised strict bed rest for three weeks.
• Our exams were very near and Neel’s mother was very worried that he would fail this time if he did not attend school.
• So,I decided to help him as much as I could.
• Every day after school,I would go to his house and update him with everything that was done in school.
• His mother was so happy with my efforts that she would prepare nice shakes or something to eat for me everyday.
• Perhaps,that was her way of thanking me.
• I used to reach home very late,but when I told the reason,they were OK with it.
• Then the exams came,and Neel and I both scored above 80% marks.
• I realised that in helping him,I had helped myself even more.
• After this incident,Neel and I became even more intimate friends.
• Last month Neel took his IELTS and scored 7 bands and has planned to go for higher education in Canada.
• Because of Neel,my parents have also decided to send me to Canada for my higher studies.
• Earlier they were reluctant to send me.
• When I helped him,then I did not know that it would have this far-reaching effect.
• I have realised that helping others gives much more satisfaction than becoming selfish and looking after one’s own interests.
1. Do you like helping others?
Yes,I do.I love helping others.I have realised it gives a lot of mental satisfaction and happiness.
2. Should parents teach helping others to their children?
Yes,of course.Parents are responsible for bringing their children into this world,and so it is their duty to make their children into responsible citizens of the future.Parents don’t have to do anything special to accomplish this.They just have to lead by example.Children will automatically follow their footsteps.If all citizens are helpful and nice,then the whole world would become a nice place to live in.
3. Do you think nowadays people do more good work as compared to the past?
I don’t think so.Life in the past was simpler and slower.People helped each other a lot.Now,everyone is in the rat race of money and materialism.No one has the time to help others.
4. Will you help others in the future?
Yes,definitely.I believe that we must do unto others as we want them to do unto us.If I will help others,only then I can expect help from others when I need it.
5. How do you encourage children to help others?
Nothing special is needed.Children are good observers and copy what their elders are doing.All you have to do is help others and they will automatically follow.
6. How do world social organizations such as Red Cross collect their funds worldwide?
They do so by advertising their work.They organise activities and involve young people in them.They also take the help of media.
7. Do small non-government organizations always need big organizations’ help or can they collect funds themselves?
No,they do not always need big organisations help.If their projects are small,they can manage on their own,otherwise they can seek help of their bigger counterparts.
8. Do you think people in India should help foreigners who are visiting India and who need help?(Why?/Why not?)
Definitely,yes.India is known for its hospitality and helpful nature.Guests are treated like Gods.Tourists are our guests.If tourists need help,they should be helped.They will take back happy memories and more and more tourists will flock-in in the future.
9. What is the most important way for a country to help foreigners who are visiting the country?
Foreigners can be helped by guiding them about our customs and traditions,so that they do not unknowingly hurt anybody’s sentiments.They can be helped by providing them good and hygienic food,which suits their taste.They can be helped by not fleecing them when they buy some souvenirs.
10. Many people only look out for themselves and never think about helping others.What do you think of this attitude?
I think such people are very short sighted.They do not thing that if they don’t help others they will also be left alone when they need help.
11. Do Indian people help others who need help,such as people in extreme poverty?
Yes,Indian people help others who are in extreme poverty.Some help directly and some help through charity organisations.