✤ What was the toy?
✤ Who gave it to you?
✤ How often did you play with it?
• I had many toys in my childhood but here I am going to talk about my electric toy car.
• My father gifted it to me on my 11th birthday.
• I used to spend hours playing with it.
• I was greatly fascinated by it.
• It was red in colour.
• It worked with four pen torch batteries fixed in a box under the car.
• When I switched it on,it would move in all directions.
• If there was an obstacle on the way then the car could change directions.
• Along with that it had lights which flickered at times.
• I was so fascinated by this car that I used to finish its batteries very soon.
• I used to show it to my friends with pride.
• None of my other friends had such a beautiful toy car.
• I just loved it when I saw the jealous look in their eyes.
• I remember,once I took it to school in my bag.
• When I came home I got a big spanking from my mother.
• I was very possessive about my car and never used to let anyone touch it.
• Even though I don’t play with the car any more I still have it in my room.
• Its colour has faded now but it has emotional value for me.
• That is why I have never thought of giving it away to my younger cousins.
• It brings back nostalgic memories of my childhood.
1. What is the difference between girls’ and boys’ toys?
Traditionally,girls used to like toys like dolls,kitchen sets,fairies,and butterflies.Boys normally preferred aggressive toys like guns,cars,and things to build and things,which make a lot of noise.The other difference was that boys normally picked blue,brown and green.Girls,on the other hand,chose pink with a tinge of purple.These differences have been disappearing over the years.
2. Do you think toys really help in children’s development?
Yes,toys play a big role in children’s development.It helps to develop their motor and sensory skills and also their cognitive abilities.At the same time,it also leads to their social development,especially when they play with other kids.Kids also learn responsibility when parents ask them to properly store their toys.
3. Does modern technology have an influence on children’s toys?
Yes modern technology has a big influence on toys.Both the type of toys available and the children’s preferences for toys have changed over time.Today robots,app controlled cars are more popular.Board games are becoming less and less popular.Simple action figures and dolls have also become much more detailed.
4. Have we lost our hand skills such as sewing?
Sewing by hand has definitely become a thing of the past.Sewing machines have come up in a big way.But manual sewing machines are still used.These have a hand pedal or a foot pedal.My mother has a fully automatic computerised sewing machine,but she has to operate it herself when she sews.
5. What toys are popular with kids in India today?
Many types of toys are popular in India.Children like wooden toys and other mechanical toys,but electronic toys are fast gaining popularity.
6. In general,do children today have many toys?
Yes,they do.When I look at the children around me,I feel that they have too many toys.I never had so many.I think parents,today,are substituting the time they have to spend with children by giving them more and more toys.
7. Do you think playing with electronic toys has a good influence on kids?
Yes,electronic toys introduce children to technology.They increase the strategy forming skills.They are good,but when children spend too much time on electronic games,they forget everything else and then these become negative.
8. Do you think there are some toys that are only suitable for girls and some that are only suitable for boys?
Not any more.Gender differences are disappearing fast and boys and girls play with the same type of toys nowadays.
9. Which do you think is better,for children to play with toy alone or with other kids?
It is definitely better for children to play with other kids.They learn caring and sharing and many other social skills when they play with others.
10. Do you think parents should encourage their children to share their toys with other kids?
Yes,definitely. They should encourage their children to share their toys with other children.In this way they will not need to have many toys.